We live in a world that has rapidly evolving technology, and the average life-span of most devices is 1 or 2 years. This doesn’t mean that the devices stop working after one or two years, only that they simply go out of fashion; and newer, more efficient technology is introduced. People want the most current and trending devices, so what can they do with their old, functional ones? At PawnGuru, we always recommend our clients to resell or recycle electronics. They offer no value when they sit at home, collecting dust.
Looking to pawn or sell your electronics?
Get cash offers now – free, easy and local.
What to Do Before the Sale or Recycling
Here are some steps you need to take before you sell or recycle electronics, especially computers, MP3 players, smart phones, and other such devices that contain data.
• Back up all the information stored in these devices to ensure there’s no data loss. You need to make a working copy that you can read without any problems at a later date.
• You also need to record all stored passwords and licenses somewhere safe and make sure they’re accurate and will give you access to services and online storage you subscribe to.
• Make sure you can boot from backup and all your settings are in place on your new device.
• Cancel all the services you access from your phone and computer, especially those that you won’t be using. Transfer services you need to the new device, and make sure the service providers know about this change.
• The final step is to erase everything from your previous device. You can easily do this with a factory reset that will turn the device into a blank canvas. The phone, computer, game console, and MP3 player will only have data related to the OS and important software. Everything that wasn’t present on the device when you purchased it will be removed. You’ll also need to remove the SIM card from your mobile or tablet.
When To Sell?
If your device works, it can be sold so you don’t always need to recycle electronics if you don’t use them. Of course, not all devices will sell well and get you a decent amount of money, but there might be a buyer out there who’s willing to pay something for them. You can sell the item on eBay or Craigslist, but that may take a lot of time and effort. The easiest way to get cash in exchange for your old electronics is to sell it at a pawn shop.
The pawn broker will carefully examine the condition of that device, and evaluate its performance. For example, if you want to sell an iPhone, the broker will consider the model, condition of the phone, performance, and accessories. If everything is in working order, the broker will research the value of the device and make you an offer.
When to Recycle?
If your device doesn’t work, you have no choice but to recycle it. Before you make the choice, take it to a repair shop and ask them if it can be repaired. If the problem can be fixed easily and affordably, you should consider repairing it.
You can also investigate the possible resale value after it is repaired and is in working order. However, if the repair is too expensive and not worth the hassle, it might be better just to recycle your electronics. There are many recycling companies that will disassemble and dispose the device responsibly.
You can even hand the device over to your pawn broker as they do work with recycling companies and would be able to dispose your device for you. You can contact us at PawnGuru if you want to know more. Just fill in this contact us form and we’ll reply as soon as possible.