Want to learn how to pawn a laptop? It’s actually quite easy and you can make a decent chunk of change. The amount varies by the type of laptop you have, its age and the condition it is in, but electronic devices such as laptops are a great option if you need quick cash.
Looking to sell or pawn an item now?
Get local cash offers for it – free, fast & easy.
Traditionally when pawning a laptop, it’s been necessary to call up your local pawn shop to see if they accept laptops and which types of laptops they accept. Now, the internet has eliminated that step for you with PawnGuru. At the end of this post, we’ll let you in on how to pawn a laptop in the easiest way possible to save you time and energy.
First, we need to let you in on how to pawn a laptop most effectively with necessary preparation steps that can effect the outcome of your pawning experience—including your appraisal.
How to Pawn a Laptop while Protecting Your Data
When you hand over your laptop to a pawn shop, you are also handing any personal data that is still on your computer to the pawn shop.
If you are outright selling your laptop or don’t pay your loan back on time, you will also be handing that private information over to the customer who ends up buying the laptop from the pawn shop.
You can see how this can easily happen —and it does quite often. This is why we want to help you protect yourself from a compromising situation that can easily be prevented. Here’s how to pawn a laptop without compromising your privacy:
- Transfer the data, media and files you want to keep to an external drive.
- Go to your computer settings or preferences
- Restore your laptop to its original state — this can be referred to as a reset or recovery
- Double check your computer’s hard drive and your browsers to make sure history, data and account logins are cleared.
How to Clean a Laptop for Pawning
If you don’t clean your laptop prior to bringing it to the pawn shop, you might not receive as high of an appraisal as you were hoping for. Here are tips for cleaning your laptop:
- Run a damp (not soaking) disinfecting wipe over the surface of your computer
- Pay special attention to the keyboard and any splashes from beverages or food
- Use a compressed air duster to blow out any dust and crumbs from the crevices
- Clean fingerprints and dust off the screen
Include all Components with the Laptop
Do not bring your laptop to the pawn shop unless it contains a fully charged battery inside and has the charger with it. The pawnbroker will be inspecting it to make sure it holds a charge.
Spending a little bit of extra time finding extra components that came with the laptop—such as cords, chargers, case, manual and box— can increase the perceived value. You want your laptop to make a good impression on the pawnbroker to get the highest appraisal possible. If your laptop doesn’t physically look like you took care of it, they may become skeptical of its functionality.
How to Pawn a Laptop Easily
At PawnGuru, we’ve developed a hassle-free approach to pawning to save you time and give you the opportunity to compare offers.
You can choose to either pawn or sell your laptop. Pawning allows you to use your laptop as collateral for a same-day cash loan, while selling it outright to the pawn shop will give you cash in hand that’s yours to keep.
Here’s how to pawn a laptop easily:
- List your laptop online at PawnGuru (it’s free!)
- Receive offers online from your local pawn shops
- If you see an offer you like, accept it
- Visit that pawn shop to receive cash in hand for the laptop