How much money you can get for a laptop at a pawn shop depends upon the brand, age, condition and any enhancements that have been made to the laptop.
Looking to sell or pawn an item now?
Get local cash offers for it – free, fast & easy.
Certain types of used laptops, such as gaming laptops, tend to sell for more than regular laptops and even Macbooks. These laptops often have specific features and enhancements that allow for a quality gaming experience, which takes up and requires more resources and special features.
Larger processors, a better graphics card and special cooling systems are some examples of what make these laptops come in at higher value than most.
In summary and based on our used laptop data at PawnGuru, you can expect to get anywhere from $40-$850 for a used laptop on average—gaming laptops being at the higher end of that range.
That’s a huge range—we know. This is why we did the leg work to break it down below so that you can see what you can roughly expect to receive for each major laptop brand.
Keep in mind the price ranges for each brand take into account varying models, years and conditions. These are ranked from highest average offer to lowest average offer.
When you’re done reading, take a couple minutes to create a free listing for your laptop at PawnGuru. You will receive bids from your local pawnshops, and this will give you an even better idea for how much you can sell your laptop computer for.
2016 Used Laptop Computer Value by Brand
1. Alienware (expect similar for other gaming laptops, such as MSI)
Tips for Selling Your Laptop Computer for the Most Money Possible
Does the average offer value for your laptop leave you disappointed? There are small but significant steps you can take to make sure you receive the most money possible for your specific laptop.
Even if you have an old laptop from a lower-end brand, you can improve the perceived value of your laptop by taking care of a few things.
- Wipe your laptop clean with a damp (not soaked) disinfectant cloth
- Pay special attention to any beverage residue on the surface
- Use a compressed air duster to remove dust, dirt and crumbs from your keyboard and other crevices
- Clean fingerprints off your screen
- Include the original box if you have it
- Gather any original accessories and cords, including the charger components
- Find any manuals or paperwork that came with the original purchase
3. User Readiness
- Backup all your files and transfer them to an external hard drive
- Perform a reset or recovery (found in your settings or system preferences)
- Ensure all personal files, information, search history and logins are gone
- Fully charge the laptop before bringing it to the pawn shop
All of these steps not only save time for the pawnbroker who will need to prepare your laptop for sale, but it will also help you get the most money for your laptop computer. Dirty and neglected laptops communicate lack of care, which in turn communicates that the laptop might not function properly.
Click the button below to create a free online listing for your laptop today at PawnGuru. You will receive bids quickly from your local pawn shops. In effect, you will get a better sense for the going rate on your laptop. There’s no obligation to accept a bid if you don’t like what you see!