Did you know that nearly 1 in 10 Americans has used a pawn shop at some point?
Pawn shops have become especially popular since the 2008-2009 recession. People who fell on hard times and needed quick cash turned to pawn shops as a solution
The result? The average pawn loan shot up from $80 in 2008 to $150 in 2011.
Of course, if you’re new to the world of pawning, you probably have some questions. What do pawn shops buy? What can you expect to get for certain items?
You’ve come to the right place. In this post, we’ll reveal the best items to pawn for quick cash in Oklahoma City. Read on!
What You Can Pawn for $50
Prices vary from shop to shop, and you need to hone in on your bargaining skills too.
In general, the following items should fetch you around $50 in a pawn shop:
- Older video game systems (XBox 360 or PS3)
- A collection of DVDs, CDs, or video games
- Smartphone in good condition
- Brand name handbag or shoes in excellent condition
- iPad or iPod
- Single power tool
- Decent-quality guitar
You might also pawn some common household electronics for $50-$100.
What You Can Pawn for $100
For a quick $100, pawning one of these items should get you the cash you need:
- SLR digital camera
- New video game console (XBox One or PS4)
- iPhone 5 (or newer)
- Brand name guitar (Les Paul or Martin)
- Large screen TV (42 inches or larger)
- Shotgun in good condition
- Set of power tools
- New or almost new laptop computer
When it comes to phones or other electronics, the newer the item, the more you can expect to get for it.
What You Can Pawn for $200-$500
What will pawn shops take for $200 to $500? They might consider:
- Gold, silver, or platinum jewelry
- Popular handguns (Springfields, Mossbergs, Berettas)
- High-end digital SLR cameras
- High-end name brand guitars (Marshall, Gibson, Epiphone)
- Used ATVs, motorcycles, or older cars
Again, depending on which Oklahoma City pawn shop you visit, prices can vary considerably. Don’t accept what seems to be a lowball offer without checking around first.
What You Can Pawn for $500+
If you want to walk away with some serious cash from a pawn shop–$500 or more–you’d better bring in some serious merchandise.
The best items to pawn for this kind of cash include:
- Large quantities of precious metals (gold, silver, platinum)
- Fully-owned cars or trucks in excellent condition
- Jewelry featuring large, high-quality diamonds
- Oversized, high-end televisions
- High-quality gold jewelry (minimum 35 to 45 grams)
- 24-karat gold coins (one ounce or more)
- High-end, name brand watches
- High-end firearms in excellent condition
- Valuable gemstones (on their own or in jewelry)
In general, if you expect to make a lot of cash at a pawn shop, your items need to be clean, in good working order, and in high public demand.
What Do Pawn Shops Buy? Now You Know
So, what do pawn shops buy in Oklahoma City?
The possibilities are almost endless, but certain items will fetch you more cash than others.
Of course, there are also items people try to pawn that most pawn shops reject. Click here to find out what not to take to a pawn shop.